Friday, November 12, 2010

New Lens

My new lens (35mm f/1.8) has arrived! I fired off a very few test shots yesterday and I like the lens a lot already. I realized, though, that the difference will not be obvious for anyone else. The significant improvement is that a much higher percentage of my indoor shots are now in focus; as such, I have more editorial capability.  Since I rarely post the blurry pictures, the average viewer won't realize that I now have SO many more pictures to choose from to document our memories and tell our stories. Instead of being limited to the one picture out of 10 that happened to be in focus, now I will have actual choices of reasonably crisp shots!

So, here are some samples. The first and third pictures, I would not normally post, but they are illustrative of the average indoor low light photography result with my old lens. The second and fourth pictures are likewise representative of the average indoor low light photography result with my new lens.

Slower zoom lens:

Faster fixed lens ("pop pop" is saving Nolan from a choking hazard here):

Slower zoom lens (this is the blur from normal-not-excessive toddler wiggles):

Faster fixed lens (Elise's cheeks are flushed because she's sick):


Unremarkable photos, for the most part, but trust me -- this is very exciting to me. :) The "slower zoom lens" is still a GREAT lens of course -- just not the best choice for my indoor lowlight photos.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment