One of my bad habits with my DSLR, is that I forget to check my ISO and white balance when I change from one scene to another, most notably when I switch from indoors to out. I have always been good on checking aperture and setting focal point. I used to forget to check shutter as well, but after enough blurry photos, I am better at keeping that on my mental checklist now. But ISO and wb... it's not in my natural routine to confirm that I have the settings that I want.
I took this photo at 7:40a, with ISO 1600 and automatic white balance:
I then shot some other pictures indoors, and realized that the whole time I was outdoors, I had shot with a high 1600 ISO -- unnecessary and undesirable. So, we headed back outdoors at 8:15 and shot this, at ISO 200 and natural light ("sun" icon) white balance:
Both of those pictures are straight-out-of-camera (SOOC). The second photo is ever so slight of an improvement, particularly when viewed at reduced web-suited file sizes.
The difference in ISO becomes impossible to ignore, however, when you try to do any amount of cropping. Look at how grainy the high ISO photo is.
I also applied the automatic tuning improvements within picasa* to brighten and add contrast and auto color correction to each of the pictures. Because it has a slightly better starting point with the daylight white balance photo, the end result yields colors which are very pleasing to the eye. The automatic white balance photo has a cool cast to it. The daylight white balance photo has a nice warm touch.
Rachele, REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR ISO AND WB**!!!
** If I shoot in RAW, setting wb correctly doesn't matter. But, I have been struggling with my attempt to switch to editing my raw photos in Elements. The problem is that I like the file organizer MUCH more in Picasa than Elements (given, I have not played around much with Elements' organizer, but it was not intuitive to me at first). It's just not in my workflow to use two programs. I actually prefer editing in elements (love the Clarity slider), but the odious task of importing photos, navigating to the one I want, and then opening it for editing, has led me to stick with Picasa for now.
And since I'm using picasa more or less exclusively, I've stopped shooting in RAW+JPG. It slows down the shooting (b/c it takes longer for my camera to store two pictures) and it clutters my folders to have two copies of a picture. I still choose to shoot in RAW+JPG at times, but very very infrequently -- basically only when I'm trying to get a picture that I hope will turn out well enough to enlarge and frame one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment