Sunday, October 31, 2010

Apple Picking, filtered for photography nuts

In our apple picking adventures last weekend, I was able to get some photography practice in (thanks to Jay for minding both kids while I snapped many a picture!). I couldn't decide if the resulting photoset should go on flickr, picasa, or facebook. I did post a couple individual photos on facebook, but then decided to split the set of 37 final photos between flickr and picasa... with the more family-story-outing oriented shots going to picasa and eventually my personal blog, and the additional gratuitous photography practice shots going to flickr.

As a side note, I used my DSLR for about half the photos -- the half where I was able to stand under a tarp. Once we got outside truly in the rain, then I switched to my point and shoot (Canon SD770) to protect the more expensive dslr.

Here is the flickr album:



Splitting my photos to two sites is not really a good method, as it's not a sustainable approach. I am obviously conflicted as to whether I should upload photos to facebook, flickr, or Picasa. I posed this question as my status on facebook and one of my friends pointed out that it would depend on the usage habits of my intended audience. There's no good answer of how to reconcile these three sites, for me, but that answer at least made some sense. If nothing else, it does add validity to my feeling of being torn between sites.

I get so much feedback on photos that I post to facebook, and after all, a lot of why I like to take photos is because I like to tell stories with them. The comments and response please me, and that comes in spades on facebook.

That said, I want to be respectful of other's newstreams and I don't want to post every piddly photo on facebook. I don't want to spam everyone. So, when I have a real surplus of photos to tell the story of an occasion, I have been turning to Picasa. I get some comments on photos posted to picasa and I like how it integrates so well with google in general.

Flickr is the best site by far in terms of organizing photos and maintaining metadata -- way better than Picasa and facebook. It, however, requires users to login to leave a comment on a photo, and I am so not a fan of that.

Also posted: Apple picking post on my personal blog. Sorry for the redundancy to Christie, Amber, Penny, and anyone else who reads both blogs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment